This is the foundation course for the suite of chainsaw related awards, and provides an introduction into the underpinning knowledge of chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting.
This assessment is divided into 2 compulsory units.
- Unit 201 – Maintenance of the chainsaw
- Unit 202 – On-site preparation and basic crosscutting
Unit 201 – The first day of this Chainsaw Maintenance and Crosscutting Course takes the candidate through risk assessments, health and safety legislation, personal protective equipment and chainsaw maintenance (including chain identification and sharpening).
Unit 202 on the second day is spent in a local forest and covers site safety, pre-start checks, start procedures, correct stance and grip, cross-cutting, removing a trapped saw from the log and moving and stacking produce.
Your instructor will explain risk assessments and the relevant health and safety legislation, before moving on to cover safety features of the chainsaw, chain types and maintenance tasks such as chain sharpening, recoil starter, air filter, spark plug, chain brake and guide bar maintenance as well as drive sprockets and clutch systems. You will be completing tension, compression and horizontal and vertical bore cuts, and discussing how to deal with a trapped saw.
Participants will learn to perform the following skills with an emphasis on safety
- Participants prepare for use, inspect and maintain top or rear handled chainsaws in workshop and field conditions. Includes starting procedures and pre-work checks.
- Participants state the importance and functions of a fully trained & competent chainsaw operator.
- Participants recognise and use approved techniques for safe and efficient cross-cutting operations.
- Participants undertake and demonstrate a knowledge of risk assessment methodology.
ARE THERE ANY PER-REQUISITES?
You must be at least 16 years of age to undertake the training and assessment. All candidates are requested to have personal protective equipment chainsaw, boots gloves trousers and combination helmet.
DURATION – 2 days
ACCREDITATION – Upon successful completion candidates will be assessed for City and Guilds/NPTC units 201 & 202
Please feel free to contact us for upcoming course dates and locations